Position: Canada Games Coach
Term: August 2015 – August 2017
Start Date: August 10, 2015
Posted: June 3, 2015
Application Deadline: Tuesday June 30, 2015.
ROWONTARIO is accepting applications for the Canada Games Coaching Staff for the 2017 Team Ontario Canada Summer Games program. This is a great opportunity for coaches to get involved and develop their coaching skills, gain experience working with top athletes, have input into the development and execution of the program and be supported by ROWONTARIO in their quest for certification.
The Canada Games Program involves participation at various Identification and Development Camps between August 2015 and May 2017 and continuous coaching with program crews from June 2017 through August 2017.
The coach selection process will be a 2-step process.
The first step will be to establish a pool of interested coaches that will be involved with the program August 2015 to March 2017. This approach will allow for a greater number of coaches to be involved in this program, strengthen the program and provide an excellent development opportunity for interested coaches.
This group will work with the Technical Director to finalize the team development program and selection processes, and will be engaged with the program until the regatta in 2017. Some elements of the 24 month program (August 2015 – August 2017) have already been established. Full details of the program will be finalized by the coaches and Technical Director through the fall of 2015, and presented at the 2015 ROWONTARIO Training Conference on November 28, 2015.
A Canada Games Development Camp for identified athletes will be held August 10-12, 2015 in St.Catharines immediately following the Royal Canadian Henley Regatta. Coaches interested in the Canada Games program should plan to attend this camp.
A face-to-face planning meeting of the coaches will also be scheduled in September/October, 2015. Regular meetings will also be conducted online.
The second step will occur in March 2017 when the final coaching staff will be named. (Final selection date subject to Team Ontario and Canada Games Council confirmation.)
3 coaches will be selected to coach at the 2017 Canada Summer Games, in addition to the Technical Director. (Men’s Coach, Women’s Coach, Manager, Boatperson)
Coaches who have been part of the pool, but not selected to the staff travelling with the team to the 2017 CSG regatta, will be invited to participate in the ongoing training of the athletes up to departure for the Games.
The goal is to have each program (Open Men, Open Women, Lightweight Men and Women) train at a local ROWONTARIO Clubs between June and August 2017. Athlete selection will be completed in June 2017. Those selected to be part of the coaching pool will work with the Technical Director to finalize the athlete selection process for announcement at the 2015 ROWONTARIO Training Conference.
Team Ontario Coaching Staff
Up to six eligible coaches will be selected to comprise the coaching staff from which the travel coaching staff will be named to coach the team in Kenora 2017. All coaches will work with the program under the direction of the ROWONTARIO Technical Director until final coach selection is completed in March 2017. Due to Canada Games Rules only four coaches (including the Technical Director) will be allowed to travel with the Team to the 2017 Canada Summer Games in Winnipeg (rowing Kenora).
- Attend Identification and Development Camps when available,
- Work as part of the Canada Games Coaching Staff to help develop the details of the CG Program.
- Attend CG Staff Meetings,
- Recruit and monitor CG athletes and work with Technical Director to provide opportunities for provincial athletes to participate in the Canada Summer Games,
- Coach a CG program/ June through August 2017 at your club or a designated club if selected as part of named coaching staff attending CSG regatta, August, 2017.
- Achieve NCCP Certification Status – Performance Coach “Trained”. Coaches will be required to participate in the Performance Coach Stream curriculum at the January 2016 RCA National Rowing Conference. ROWONTARIO will be providing financial support to selected coaches to achieve this status.
- (Performance Coach “Trained” status is expected to be the certification requirement to be named to the CSG Team, as dictated by the Canada Games Council. This requirement is to be confirmed by the CGC in the summer of 2015.
Selection to the Coaching Pool will be based on the following criteria:
1) Past coaching experience
2) Compatibility with athletes
3) Leadership Skills
4) Analysis of Coaching Style and technical skills
5) NCCP Certification status
6) General Availability for training camps which will include regional camps and week-long winter break training camps.
7) Club support – coaching position and ability to host one of the training groups June –August 2017.
8) Registered as an Active Coach with a member club with ROWONTARIO and Rowing Canada Aviron.
Coaches interested in being considered for a coaching position for the Team Ontario Canada Summer Games program must submit an application package including:
- a) Cover Letter – Include RCA Registration Number
- b) A detailed CV detailing rowing coaching experience
- c) Applicants wishing to Coach at their home Club in the summer of 2017 should submit a letter of support from their club President or other authorized representative. The Club letter should reference the Club’s support of you as a coach and their willingness to support a Canada Games program (per above) from June until departure to the Games in August. Canada Games athletes and coaches will not be available to the club at the 2017 Canadian Henley Regatta.
Applications must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30, 2015. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by July 15. Interviews will be conducted Monday July 27, immediately following the ROWONTARIO Championships. Interviews will be conducted in Welland or St. Catharines. Successful candidates will be confirmed by July 31.
Final selection for summer 2017 program coaches and travel staff will be completed by March 31, 2017. (Date subject to Team Ontario and Canada Games Council confirmation).
A committee for all coach selection of CSG Coaching Staff and summer 2017 travel staff will be named by the Executive Director.
ROWONTARIO will be providing support funding for coach training/education initiatives, camps, and other direct costs related to the Canada Games program. An honorarium will also be provided for those coaches selected to coach the final team June – August 2017, subject to available funding.
If you have any questions regarding the Canada Games Program or Coaching Positions, or Coach Selection process, please contact Technical Director Mike Purcer at email@example.com