The Trillium Chase is a monthly 1x Challenge Series – a single sculler’s ‘Grand Prix’ – organized by ROWONTARIO. Each month, single scullers of all ages will have the opportunity to earn points toward the Trillium Cup, which will be co-awarded to the male and female sculler, regardless of age category, who wins the most points throughout the Series. The technical details can be found below or downloaded here.
- Establish new racing opportunities
- Support existing Ontario regattas
- Support events across all regions
- Reward ongoing participation and improvement
- Emphasize small boat skill development
- Prepare athletes for future athlete development / high performance development opportunities
- Develop a wider range of tactical skills by incorporating a range of distance and race formats
- LTAD-appropriate regatta streaming that also supports a Club-level annual training plan
- Foster camaraderie among member clubs through fun and friendly competition
Athletes should refer to the Eligibility Criteria for each regatta, as listed in the Individual Regatta Information Packages.
To have race results included in the Trillium Chase ranking, athletes must:
- Ontario athletes: be a registered member of a ROWONTARIO member club and registered with ROWONTARIO and RCA;
- Canadian athletes from outside Ontario: Be a registered member of RCA;
- Athletes from outside Canada: Be a registered member of your national rowing association (e.g., USROWING).
- The Trillium Chase 1x Challenge series is a 1x only event.
- ROWONTARIO is not responsible for providing or transporting boats for athletes.
Athletes can Challenge the Chase! at any point in the season. Athletes are not required to participate in every Trillium Chase event; once registered, all results will be applied to an athletes’ points total (please refer to the POINTS TOTAL section for more information).
There are no weight categories or age handicaps in the Trillium Chase 1x Challenge Series. Female and Male athletes will be ranked separately within each category as separate events, and para athletes will be ranked separately within each category at their request.
Age Categories (as of December 31, 2018):
|Under 13||Born in 2006 or later.||Age 51-55||Born in 1963-1968|
|Under 15||Born in 2004 or 2005||Age 56-60||Born in 1958-1962|
|Under 17||Born in 2002 or 2003||Age 61-65||Born in 1953-1958|
|Under 19||Born in 2000 or 2001||Age 66-70||Born in 1948-1952|
|Under 21||Born in 1998 or 1999||Age 71-75||Born in 1943-1948|
|Under 23||Born in 1996 or 1997||Age 76-80||Born in 1938-1942|
|Under 30||Born in 1989-1995||Age 81-85||Born in 1933-1938|
|Age 30-35||Born in 1983-1988||Age 86-90||Born in 1928-1932|
|Age 36-40||Born in 1978-1982||Age 91-95||Born in 1923-1928|
|Age 41-45||Born in 1973-1977||Age 96-100||Born in 1918-1922|
|Age 46-50||Born in 1968-1972||And so on as required in 5-year increments.|
Events will be posted individually on RegattaCentral. Athletes must register and pay for each Challenge individually.
Athletes will be awarded points based on their age category, as defined above, not based on the event entered.
Points are awarded based on the fastest time in that age category, based on the parameters outlined in this regatta package for each individual regatta.
|Fastest Time||25 points|
|Within 0.1-0.9% of Fastest Time||20 points|
|Within 1-1.9% of Fastest Time||15 points|
|Within 2-2.9% of Fastest Time||10 points|
|Within 3-3.9% of Fastest Time||7 points|
|Within 4-4.9% of Fastest Time||5 points|
|Within 5% or greater of Fastest Time||1 point|
|Did not race||0 points|
An athlete’s point total and standing, within his/her age category as well as overall standings, will be updated after each event in the Series and published on the Trillium Chase page on ROWONTARIO’s website.
Athletes will be seeded at the Regatta Chair’s discretion for each regatta. Total accumulated points may be taken into consideration in seeding.
MEDALS AND THE TRILLIUM CUP
All medals and awards will be presented at the ROWONTARIO Awards Ceremony, which will be held as part of the ROWONTARIO Training Conference.
- A gold medal will be awarded in each category to the athlete who has earned the most points throughout the Trillium Chase 1x Challenge Series.
- The Trillium Cup will be co-awarded to the male and female athlete who earn the most points overall, regardless of category.
Other awards will be announced on the Trillium Chase page on the ROWONTARIO website.
TRILLIUM CHASE CHALLENGES
Note: The Trillium Chase 1x Challenge Series is subject to change. Please check the Trillium Chase page on the ROWONTARIO website and Regatta Central for the most up-to-date information.
CHALLENGE #1: THE TRILLIUM KICK-OFF
- Date: Sunday April 29th
- Location: Don Rowing Club, Mississauga ON
- Race Details: 2500m Time Trial
- Trillium Cup Points: Points will be awarded based an athlete’s raw 2500m time and applied to the appropriate Trillium Chase age category.
CHALLENGE #2: JACK NICHOLSON HEAD OF THE MARTINDALE REGATTA
- Date: Saturday May 12th
- Location: Henley Island, St. Catharines ON
- Race Details: 1 or 2 laps of Henley Island, depending on category
- Trillium Cup Points: Points will be awarded based on an athlete’s raw 1st lap time (4km) and applied to the appropriate Trillium Chase age category.
CHALLENGE #3: ROWONTARIO SPRING SMALL BOAT TRIALS
- Date: Saturday June 9th
- Location: WIFC South Course, Welland ON
- Race Details: 2000m Time Trial to seeded 2000m Head to Head Finals
- Trillium Cup Points: Points will be awarded based on an athlete’s raw time trial time and applied to the appropriate Trillium Chase age category.
CHALLENGE #4: ROWONTARIO MASTERS CHAMPIONSHIPS or ROWONTARIO CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Date: Sunday July 15th or Saturday/Sunday July 28th/29th
- Location: WIFC North Course, Welland ON or Fanshawe Lake, London ON
- Race Details: 1000m (Masters) or 2000m (Champs)
- Trillium Cup Points: Points will be awarded based on an athlete’s earliest 1x race of the day and applied to the appropriate Trillium Chase age category. If an athlete races at both the Masters and Championships regattas, he or she will be awarded the higher points results.
CHALLENGE #5: TRILLIUM NORTH
- Date: Sunday August 19
- Location: Sudbury Rowing Club, Sudbury ON
- Race Details: T.B.C.
- Trillium Cup Points: Points will be awarded based on an athlete’s raw time and applied to the appropriate Trillium Chase age category.
CHALLENGE #6: HEAD OF THE RIDEAU REGATTA
- Date: Sunday September 23rd
- Location: Ottawa, ON
- Race Details: 5.3km Head Race
- Trillium Cup Points: Points will be awarded based on an athlete’s earliest 1x race of the day and applied to the appropriate Trillium Chase age category.
CHALLENGE #7: TRILLIUM SPRINTS
- Date: Saturday October 20th, 2018
- Location: Leander Boat Club, Hamilton ON
- Race Details: 500m Time Trial to 500m head-to-head “knock-out bracket”
- Trillium Cup Points: Points will be awarded based on an athlete’s time trial and applied to the appropriate Trillium Chase age category.
OTHER EVENT INFORMATION
Please refer to the Regatta Information Package for each individual regatta for event specific information, including:
- Entry Fees and Payment Terms, including Late Entry and Scratch Fees
- Entry Deadlines
- Specific Eligibility Requirements
- Coaches’ Meeting details
- Practice Times
- Regatta Office Hours
- RCA Rules of Racing Exceptions
- Order of Events and Event Schedule
- Progression Format (where applicable)
- Event Medals
Any questions can be addressed to Andrea Miller, Sport Development Manager: email@example.com or 416-759-8405.