ROWONTARIO is the not-for-profit Provincial Sport Organization (PSO) for rowing in Ontario. Our mission is to promote rowing participation and build excellence through the development and implementation of programs and services for member clubs, athletes and sport supporters. We work with our 54-member clubs, schools and community groups across the Province.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Sport Development Manager will be responsible for developing and executing ROWONTARIO’s strategies related to Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) and Coach Development programs.
The Sport Development Manager will represent ROWONTARIO in dealing with Rowing Canada Aviron, Coach Association Ontario and other agencies with respect to LTAD and Coach Development activities and programs. Administratively, the Technical Development Manager is responsible and accountable for the operation and expenditures of the above program within approved budget amounts. The role will require working with other members of the ROWONTARIO staff, volunteer committees and the ROWONTARIO member clubs.
Lead the process of developing, reviewing, and implementing annual operational plans for the department.
- Lead the development and implementation of
- LTAD aligned education programs aimed at developing coaches beyond the certification programs.
- LTAD aligned athlete development programs aligned with the athlete pathways.
- a Para Rowing program in Ontario.
- Ensure opportunities are available to Ontario coaches to progress through the respective RCA pathways (including the NCCP programs).
- Oversee and monitor the day-to-day delivery of the coach programs and services to maintain and improve quality.
- Select, orient and develop strong support staff ensuring clear direction and expectations with respect to the preparation and implementation of training programs and performance-based evaluation system.
- Ensure consistent and effective communication and consultation with all stakeholders and partners, within the framework of the ROWONTARIO, especially Member Clubs.
- Develop and maintain positive and effective relations with RCA’s staff as it relates to Long Term Athlete Development, Coach Development and Para Rowing.
- Liaison and be the ex-officio member of the Coaching Committee
- Ensure maintenance of Technical program files, records, results, reports and minutes.
- Assume overall responsibility for the Sport Development budgets including working with program staff to prepare a comprehensive budget.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the ED.
Leadership & Human Resource Management:
- Build and maintain a high performance culture through effective performance management, communication and coaching of staff.
- Provide clear leadership, promote and foster a team culture consistent with the organization’s values.
- Ensure the recruitment of appropriately skilled staff to positions, and establishing a performance-based evaluation system.
- Select, orient and develop a strong team ensuring clear direction and expectations with respect to the preparation and implementation of training programs and strategies.
We are seeking an individual with the following qualifications and competencies:
Education – Post-secondary degree/diploma in Sport or Recreation Management, Business Management or related field of study
A self-directed and enthusiastic team player with the ability to lead and motivate a team. A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in sport and program management/development with management experience. Excellent interpersonal skills with a capacity to consult with, develop and maintain a variety of stakeholder partnerships. While not required a background in rowing would be an asset.
- Management – Plan and manage at both the strategic and operational levels
- Leadership – Excellent working understanding of the provincial and national sport landscape and systems, including funding opportunities
- Implementation – Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Leading People – Empower, develop and hold people accountable
- Partnership – Work and build relationships in a complex multi stakeholder environment.
The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes that reflect ROWONTARIO’s organizational values:
|Excellence||Provide Nation-leading programming and service delivery achieving excellence.|
|Innovation||Embrace creativity, diversity and flexibility to continuously improve for the benefit of the athletes and the Ontario rowing community|
|Integrity||Are respectful, transparent, inclusive, honest and accountable to our members, participants, partners and staff.|
|Leadership||Represent our members and provide guidance and support that sets the direction for rowing in the province and the country.|
To Apply (in confidence):
Position Title: Sport Development Manager
Pay Level: $50,000 – $60,000 plus employee benefits as per ROWONTARIO policy
Provincial Office: 206 – 19 Waterman Ave, Toronto, Ontario M4B 1Y2
Position advertising date: Wednesday September 6, 2017
Application Deadline: Friday September 22, 2017 (Position will remain open until filled)
Anticipated Start Date: Monday October 16, 2017
Requirements for applying
- Cover letter
- Two letters of references
Please forward your cover letter, resume and professional references – in one document via email prior to Friday September 22, 2017, by 4:00pm to firstname.lastname@example.org
ROWONTARIO is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. We will work with you to accommodate your needs in line with the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodation through the application or interview processes, or any stage of the recruitment process, please contact ROWONTARIO directly at email@example.com or 416-759-8405.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. ROWONTARIO is committed to an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the community that we serve. ROWONTARIO welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all those that apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.